Featured Listing

Working From An Idea-The Kitchen

Working with a house created by extraordinarily creative people has been a wonderful experience for us at James A. Cochrane, Inc.  For nearly five decades, James Fuhrman’s sculpture and installations have been based on abstract IDEAS. He puts thoughts and IDEAs into concrete terms and invites you to relate and connect with your own experiences. In the Lincoln School conversion and addition, Fuhrman wanted the house to reflect the IDEA and sense of warmth, generosity and openness of his wife Fern Denney.

Fuhrman’s design recognizes that the one room school building is essentially modernist in form— a large open, loft-like, space with 10 ½ ceilings, plastered stone walls with wooden floors that show the marks from the school desk screws and large deep-set windows. The house invites you to touch its 150 years of history and have a ‘modern open space plan’ as well including living, dining and kitchen in one space.

The kitchen area radiates the IDEA of warmth—as a kitchen should. Against a background of all-white cabinetry and appliances, Fuhrman and Denney added rich, warm American cherry counter tops with a tile backsplash made of a pattern of brilliant color that they saw in Rome’s Borghese Gallery. Denney hand-painted each tile during the summer of construction. ‘Italian gold’! The tile pattern reflects a more local character as well: the double wedding ring pattern of Amish quilts.

 

Even more, Fuhrman has designed a wonderful working kitchen space! Spanning the width of the building, there are two sinks with loosely defined working areas: ‘his and hers’; preparation; cooking; and cleanup.

The kitchen built on the teacher’s dais of the original school room. Most importantly, much of it is open to conversation with the living/dining areas, while the cooking part is shielded. You don’t eat with the dirty pots and pans. It really is a ‘great room’!!!

Old Lincoln School; “Historic school house with modern addition”

At James A. Cochrane, Inc we come across a variety of unique and beautiful homes and we always feel fortunate when clients give us the opportunity to represent them in the sale of a place that has held a special place in their hearts for so many years. That is exactly the case at 1420 Little Conestoga Road in Glenmoore. The Old Lincoln Schoolhouse, as it is affectionally called, was designed and conceived by sculptor James Fuhrman for his wife Fern Denney. The home’s design embodies the ideas that give life to Fuhrman’s sculptures and installations: 1. A profound consideration of space and people’s experiences within that space, a space of open generosity and welcoming and 2. A dynamic connection to the ‘natural’.
 
Esteemed art critic Burt Wasserman wrote about Fuhrman in Art Matters, 1999: Fuhrman’s work projects a bold minimalism. “Yes, indeed. Less really is more!” If the great architect Mies Van der Rohe could see what Fuhrman is doing, he would surely nod with understanding and smile with warm appreciation because the sculpture shares a deep kinship with his own creative ethic.
 
Dance icon Martha Graham wrote: I find the pieces evocative and beautiful; in their space and proportion. 
 
Fuhrman’s work has been installed at the Berman Museum, Ursinus College, the James Michener Museum, Blair Athol Castle, Scotland, and the University of Pennsylvania; he has completed over 60 works in public spaces in Europe, South America, and the U.S. spanning a 50 year career.

 

 
 
 
In Fuhrman’s design, the understated Lincoln School facade retains prominence and pride of place on the road façade. The modernist addition with its ‘Positano red stucco’ sits behind the white older structure receding into the wooded lot allowing ‘pride of place’ to the 150 year old building. 
 
For more details and pricing please visit: cochraneinc.com & jfuhrman.com.
 

Featured Listing: Springdale Farm

Springdale farm1_0017

 Back in the early 1700’s when the Mendenhall family started Springdale Farm I’m sure they never would have imagined that their farm in bucolic Chadds Ford, PA would be listed on the National Register of Historic Places for the being the oldest continuously run farm in Pennsylvania. The 60 acre farm was added to the registry back in 1973 and the farm, along with the original farmhouse and large indoor equestrian riding facility are currently on the market.  This is a special opportunity to own a small piece of history in prime Chester County horse country.

Springdale farm2_0018

A very large indoor arena with a 24-stall barn sit atop a hill overlooking the property.  The home is ready for the right buyer to bring it back to it’s former glory. This is truly  an ideal opportunity for a 3-day eventer, show jumper or race horse trainer to live and work on an amazing piece of property.

Springdale farm3_0019

 

Learn more about this opportunity HERE 

1250 Hickory Hill Road, Chadds Ford, PA $2,450,000